Modified from Better Homes Cookbook’s sponge cake.
I swear I always make mistakes following a baking recipe for the first time. Hubby is nice to say “a true chef never follows a recipe.”
Here are the pictures. The mistake was adding the strawberry banana smoothie into the egg whites instead of the egg yolk. Doh!
The cake also failed to rise properly as a result.
It’s ok, they say they all end up in the same place don’t they.
The cake taste yummy anyway. I will post the modified recipe using Splenda when I have a chance.
Here is the modified recipe adapted from Better Homes Cookbook’s Sponge-Cake Recipe:
6 Egg Yolks
1/2 Cup Strawberries and Bananas Blend together, set aside more for the swirl or marble effect
1/4 Cup Splenda
1 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour
6 Egg Whites
1/2 tsp Cream of Tartar
!/2 Cup of Strawberry and Banana Smoothie to replace sugar
1. In mixing bowl, beat egg yolks on high for 5 minutes till thick and lemon colored. Add 1/2 cup of smoothie, beat on low until combined. Gradually beat in Splenda on low speed. Increase to medium speed till mixture thicken.
2. Fold in 1/4 cups of flour at a time into the above mixture. Blend on low speed till mixed evenly.
3. Wash beaters. Beat Egg Whites and Cream of Tartar on high for 5 minutes and/or until fluffy but not foamy. Add in 1/2 Cup of smoothie, beat on low to mix well. Fold in egg yolk mixture.
4. Pour into ungreased chiffon cake tin. Swirl some remaining smoothie into the batter to make the marbling effect. A chopstick would work well for this.
5. Bake in oven for 325 degrees for 1 hour or till skewer comes out clean. Immediately invert cake from pan to cool.
If cake don’t rise, don’t worry. You will still like the yummy goodness of the strawberry banana in this very moist cake.